Today’s beautiful lift-the-flap #boardbooks are Peek-a-baby Farm & Peek-a-baby Ocean by Mike Orodan via @raincoastbooks. These adorable parent & baby peekaboo books are publishing in March and we love love LOVED them at our house.
- stunning high contrast colour palettes perfect for baby’s developing eyes!
- variety of animals (hooray for otters, octopus and donkeys! We don’t usually see these guys!)
- some mention of Mama & Daddy but some just animal titles allowing for a variety of parent names besides the classics!
- each book finishing on bedtime (GLORY!) and gently illustrating some tender co-sleeping
- chunky shaped pages and flaps great for little hands to use!
These books are as lovely for a new baby as for my inquisitive four year old who enjoyed learning baby animals names and easily turning pages and flaps himself before bed. A gorgeous addition to any small’s library and sweet baby shower gifts! Recommended Newborn & Up!
Matt the Cat is looking for little grey mouse. Each spread features a little grey tail disappearing behind a window, door or barn, as Matt searches for his friend. Behind every flap is a light activated animal sound! In bright lights these sounds work by themselves, in dimmer light a flash light works great and smalls LOVE shining a light to make a sound!
A sweet punchline finishes this bright, fun, farm animal book: Matt the Cat is hunting little grey mouse because he’s hungry–and mouse cooks him amazing meals! Chef mouse waits behind the last flap, hard at work on Matt’s breakfast.
A wonderful, lively read filled with fun farm animal sounds! Recommended 1.5+up. A great book to give as a gift!
Theres lots to love in these titles:
- We love that the imagery is simple and clean against a white backdrop because the textures are the busy part, helping little ones focus their senses
- Two distinctly different touch and feel elements per animal
- Quality, these are touch & feel books to stand up to busy hands (as tested by my 2 year old). Sturdy spines, thick pages and a special call-out to the cow & sheep textures which were quite authentic!
- A good size - small enough to travel, but big enough that you don’t lose out on the visuals
- Little fun details like the foot prints of each animal on the page & things the animals like to eat or play with as well
These stand-out titles are great for busy babies aged 6 months + up and fab for busy animal loving toddlers too. A bright, brilliant add to any shower gift!